Light A CandleIn honor of a
Photo TourClick here to take a virtual tour of our facilities.
About Us - Our History
Chopyak-Scheider Funeral Home, Inc. has been serving the Greater Binghamton area since 1931. We are located centrally in Broome County, within the rich historical area of the First Ward of Binghamton.
Founded by Mrs. Joseph (Susan) Chopyak, a licensed New York State Undertaker and Embalmer, the funeral home had initially primarily served the Eastern European immigrant population which resided in the surrounding locale.
Susan's daughter, Mildred Chopyak, also a licensed New York State Funeral Director, joined the business in 1950 and wed William E. Scheider in 1951. Mr. Scheider was from the South Side of Binghamton, and his family owned Scheider's Market on Park Avenue.
In 1978, William J. "Bill" Scheider joined his mother and grandmother, becoming the third generation of funeral professionals in the family business.
On the golden anniversary of the funeral home in 1981, William J. Scheider purchased the funeral home from his mother.
In 1985, under Bill's direction, the funeral home became the exclusive Triple Cities representative for the Lofty Oaks Program, which memorializes a loved one with the planting of a tree in New York State. In 1992, Bill became a Certified Funeral Services Practitioner (CFSP) from the American Academy of Funeral Service Practice, citing his professionalism and continuing education.
Our business has focused on providing compassionate and personal care. We are honored to overseeing every aspect of your loved one's funeral that we are called on to provide.