Light A CandleIn honor of a
Photo TourClick here to take a virtual tour of our facilities.
Funeral Director William J. "Bill" Scheider
For over twenty-seven years, Chopyak-Scheider Funeral Home, Inc. has been operated and managed by William J. "Bill" Scheider.
Bill married the former Nikki Ann Prorok of Binghamton in 1980. They have a daughter, Leigh Ann, and reside in nearby Johnson City. Bill was raised in the Endwell area and graduated from the Maine-Endwell School System. He earned his B.A. in sociology from Hobart College in Geneva, N.Y.
Following his graduation, Bill completed the course of study offered by the Simmons School of Mortuary Science in Syracuse, N.Y. After serving his apprenticeship with the Edward Carter Funeral Homes in Montrose and Croton-on-Hudson, N.Y., Bill received his New York State Funeral Directors license in 1978 returned home to join the family business.
Since purchasing the business in 1981, numerous improvements to the facility have been made, as well as expansion of the services available. Bill has attended numerous seminars to maintain the high caliber of compassionate care he provides. Following is a short list of accomplishments:
- Healing Heart Center Bereavement Counseling Training, Minneapolis, MN
- Lifespring Seminars, Basic and Advanced
- Assistant Presenter at the Dodge Company Embalming Seminars in Syracuse, NY
- Life Appreciation Training, Basic and Advanced, Syracuse, NY and Atlanta, GA
- Numerous Professional Seminars and Programs
- Thanos Institute Study
Throughout his career, Bill has utilized his spare time to benefit the community in which he lives and works. The following is a partial list of his community involvements:
- Member of National Funeral Directors Association, New York State
- Funeral Directors Association and Broome County Funeral Directors Association
- Member of St. Michael's Greek Catholic Church, Binghamton .
- Member of The National Hospice Association
- Former Board of Director and Treasurer of HALos ("Help After Loss" Benevolent Support Group)
- Member and Treasurer of the Binghamton Breakfast Rotary Club
- Past President of the Johnson City and Binghamton Breakfast Rotary Clubs
- Multiple Paul Harris Fellow-Rotary International
- Former Board of Director of the Johnson City Senior Citizens
- Member of Round Hill and Maine F&AM Lodges Otseningo Bodies A.A.S.R Kalurah Shrine
- Past Master of Round Hill Lodge F&AM, Mason Of The Year
- Past President of Orthodox Square Club of Central NY
- Orthodox Square Club Person of The Year
- Honorary Member of the Union Volunteer Emergency Squad
- Commissioner of the Overbrook Recreational Complex, Johnson City
- Life Member of Hobart Statesmen Athletic Association
- Former Director of The Southern Tier A.I.D.S. Program
- Former Member of the Broome Community College Foundation
Bill has also provided over one hundred lectures to church, school, community groups and other colleagues on many funeral-related topics.
We welcome your questions and comments and the opportunity to personally discuss your wishes and provide quality service when the need arises.